Monday, April 5, 2010

Dear World

Dear World,

I never expected all these crazy things to happen to me. Sure, I expected them to happen to others, but never to me. My life was planned out. To the T. And yet, the expected perpendicular lines somehow haven't crossed. Can you tell me why? Why have I not found my niche? Why do I feel like a speed skater, circling and circling over and over again the same sheet of ice? Why do I feel like a bird, who relentlessly flies into the wind? Why do I feel like I'm hiking switchback after switchback and not reaching the summit?

Oh that's right, World. All this time I've been looking down at my feet, watching myself take one step in front of the other. Never did I notice that the ice was being polished, that the wind was taking me higher. Once I looked up, the beautiful vista I beheld was the most miraculous and breathtaking view.

Thank you, World, for making me work hard and strengthening myself along the way. Thank you for letting me be inspired, and in turn, inspiring others. Thank you for teaching me that life is about relationships, about people, about emotion; laughter, silence, tears, moments to be alone, and times to be surrounded by friends.

Thank you world. For everything.

1 comment: